Concentration problems

Concentration problems

Concentration means keeping your attention focused on one thing. It means not being easily distracted. If you are unable to do this, you may have concentration problems, but it does not have to be a permanent situation. For example, you might be temporarily affected because you are not feeling particularly comfortable. Something stressful or exciting might be going on and you’re simply preoccupied with it. The use of certain medications/drugs can also have a negative effect on your concentration.

Concentration tips

• Tidy up your desk or clean your room. It makes the environment more calming and allows you to concentrate better.
• Turn off your telephone, television, radio or computer when you are working on something else.
• Take a break from studying every once in a while, but make sure that these are well planned. Decide when you are going to take breaks beforehand. Don’t take a break when you are feeling distracted.
• Instead, only take breaks at the times you planned beforehand.
• Try not to think: “I have to concentrate”. Instead, simply turn your attention back to whatever you were working on whenever you lose focus


If you consistently have trouble concentrating, then you may have an attention-deficit disorder. These are called ADD and ADHD. The characteristics of these two disorders vary. If you have ADHD, you may also exhibit hyperactive behaviour frequently. Sometimes, you will do things without thinking them through (impulsive).
People with ADD primarily have trouble remaining focused on something. They get distracted easily, are forgetful, tend to daydream, and are poorly organised. The list of symptoms is long. Not everyone exhibits every trait.


ADHD and ADD are professionally diagnosed disorders. An expert will use information from your parents, teachers, etc. to arrive at the diagnosis. Most people who have trouble concentrating visit their general practitioner first. If it is necessary, the GP will refer you to someone who specialises in ADHD or ADD. This may be a child/youth psychiatrist or a registered psychologist.


  • You can make an appointment with your general practitioner
  • If you don’t want to go directly to your general practitioner, you can also first speak with a Startpunt staff member to tell you story